One By One, a member of Washington Global Health Alliance, is reaching out to youth between the ages of 13 and 18 interested in global health, leadership, policy advocacy, and social justice for women and girls to apply for the Young Global Leaders Program for the 2013-2014 School year. Applications are due on September 26th, 2013.
- Program lasts the school year (October 2013–June 2014)
- There is no fee to participate in the Seattle-‐based portion of this program. Students will be expected to pay for their trip to Washington DC.(If Washington DC trip costs are an obstacle for you to apply to this program, please contact Sara in our office to discuss scholarship opportunities. 206 297 1418.)
- Bi-‐weekly (2 times per month) Monday evening meetings from 6-‐8 pm at our office
- Short assignments as preparation for meetings
- Short final research project
- Areas of Interest: global health, advocacy, women’s studies, youth leadership
Students will receive:
- Extensive knowledge of global health, non-‐profit work. global development, and advocacy
- Community service hours
- Potential college references upon completion of the year-‐long program
- Opportunity to build relationships with One By One staff and peers in Seattle area schools
- Intensive practice and development of leadership and advocacy skills
- Ability to commit to bi-‐weekly meetings for the duration of the school year. Please carefully review the attached calendar. This program has 17 meetings (excluding our planned trip to Washington DC).If you think you will miss 4 or more of these 17 planned meetings over our 9 months together, this program is not for you.If you are unsure or have questions, please call our office at 206.297.1418.
- Students will be expected to communicate with staff and invest time between meetings
- Must be entering 7-‐12th grade during the 2013-‐2014 school year
- Ability to communicate clearly in both oral and written form
- Desire to connect with youth to build a movement focused on women and girls’ rights, especially the fight to end fistula
- Must be creative, collaborative, flexible and responsible
- Must possess a desire to further develop leadership skills
To access more information regarding the program and the application, visit the One By One site. All application materials are due on September 26th, 2013.
One by One:
One By One is a Seattle-based non-profit organization dedicated to the elimination of obstetric fistula worldwide. We work to increase awareness and understanding of this deeply troubling condition that affects so many women. Additionally, we partner with in-country organizations to create programs and mobilize the resources needed to support both life-transforming treatment programs and essential prevention work.
We believe that young people have a vital voice in bring change and momentum to this cause.
One By One is now accepting applications for the third year of our Young Global Leaders Program.This program aims to build a community of young people from different schools in Seattle-‐area to inspire each other as present and future partners and leaders in the work to end fistula. The cohort will consist of 10-‐12 students who will work with One By One U.S. Program staff to explore the causes of obstetric fistula and One By One’s work to eradicate it, women and girls’health worldwide, global development, and complex public health systems. Students will also participate in advocacy and outreach work related to gender equality as well as fistula treatment and prevention. Students will have the opportunity to demonstrate these skills in a range of ways including travelling with One By One staff to Washington DC in February 2014 to meet with legislators and global health organizations.