- This event has passed.
Health as a Catalyst for Women’s Equality: An Agenda for Action
June 16, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Friends of the Global Fight Against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Friends), CARE International, Global Health Council (GHC), and International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) will host a web-based briefing aimed at a Capitol Hill and policy audience on the health needs of women and girls globally. It will include a discussion highlighting:
1) how addressing the health needs of adolescent girls and women spurs gender equality, economic opportunity, and prosperous societies,
2) what needs to be done to increase access to health services and remove barriers for girls and women,
3) how COVID-19 is disproportionately impacting the health and well being of women and girls, and
4) actionable steps that Members of Congress can take to increase girls’ and women’s access to health services. It will focus on the work of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, PEPFAR (including its DREAMS program), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and USAID Tuberculosis program.
- Congresswoman Lois Frankel (D-FL)
- Loyce Pace, President & Executive Director, Global Health Council (moderator)
- Amb. Deborah Birx, Coronavirus Response Coordinator, White House (panelist; invited)
- Maurine Murenga, Board Member, Communities Delegation, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (panelist)
- Janet Fleischman, Senior Associate, CSIS Global Health Policy Center (panelist)
- Roopa Dhatt, M.D., Co-Founder and Executive Director, Women in Global Health (panelist)
- Jen Kates, PhD., Senior Vice President and Director of Global Health & HIV Policy, Kaiser Family Foundation (panelist)