Formerly Puget Sound Blood Center and Lane Blood Center, Bloodworks is backed by more than 70 years of Northwest history and 250,000 donors. A national leader in transfusion medicine, Bloodworks has been chosen to serve more than 90 hospitals in Washington, Oregon and Alaska – partnering closely with local hospitals to deliver the highest level of patient care. Patients with traumatic injuries, undergoing surgeries or organ transplantation, or receiving treatment for cancer and blood disorders all depend on our services, expertise, laboratories and research. We are local, nonprofit, independent, volunteer-supported and community-based.
Help save lives every day! This entry-level position in training to become a Blood Collection Specialist II is responsible for performing whole blood procedures with an uncompromising commitment to quality standards, the safety of the blood supply and the donor experience. Our world-class training program will provide you with the phlebotomy skills and knowledge needed to evaluate potential donors and perform blood collections. This position works directly with our volunteers to provide a welcoming and pleasant environment for our donors.
- Take vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and hemoglobin
- Screen potential donors/patients and evaluate their eligibility following Bloodworks’ policies/procedures while answering donor questions that ensure they are giving informed consent for donation and blood testing
- Perform vein punctures for whole blood and collect samples for testing
- Follow universal precautions and bio-hazard safety standards for handling blood.
- Properly document and perform quality controls to uphold Bloodworks and FDA standards to maintain the safety of the blood supply
- Interact with team members and donors in a knowledgeable and professional manner
- High School education or GED equivalent required
- One year of work experience in a role where the primary focus is on customer service
- Driver’s license for 3 years with clean driving record
- Excellent hand- eye coordination
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time, bend and reach to perform repetitive motions, lift and carry up to 60 pounds
- Work flexible shifts with the ability to travel to various work locations– schedules may change frequently and unexpectedly. Work may include overnight, holidays and weekend work away from home
- Ability to attend a 6-week training program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, Outlook
- Effective 10/17/21, full vaccination against COVID-19 (two weeks after receiving final vaccine dose), or approved medical or religious exemption to the vaccine, is a condition of this role.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid for life and disability, 401(k) contribution, relocation assistance bonus*,education reimbursement and up to 24 days of PTO your first year.