Life Science Washington (LSW) is a 501(c)(6) non-profit trade association with more than 500 members and a nearly 30-year history supporting Washington State biotechnology, medical device, digital health and other life science companies, universities, research institutions and partner organizations through advocacy, collaboration and investment. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Membership Services, the Business Development Manager is responsible for recruiting and retaining members from life science organizations and research institutions, as well as service providers that support the industry; securing sponsorships for LSW programs and events; working as an ambassador for member engagement; and overseeing LSW’s Business Solution Partners Program. LSW Business Solution Partners are industry leaders whose products and services are essential to the business operations of life science companies and with whom discounted prices and enhanced services have been negotiated on behalf of LSW members.
- Develop and implement strategies for member retention and recruitment with the VP, Membership
- Engage with LSW members—and prospective members—to better understand their needs/desires and introduce them to relevant LSW benefits and programs with the goals of increasing member satisfaction and retention and securing new members
- Identify prospects and recruit new members to join LSW, from life science companies, research institutions, investors and service providers
- Develop and update marketing collateral focused on member recruitment, retention and sponsorships in collaboration with VP, Membership Services and Marketing & Communications Manager
- Secure sponsorships for all LSW programs and events and manage day to day relationships with sponsors; track all deliverables, ensuring payment has been received and serve as point of contact for on-site events
- Manage relationships with LSW Business Solution Partners by helping them market their products and services to LSW members; this may include identifying prospects and accompanying sales reps on visits with member companies
- Track and report on memberships, sponsorships and business solution partners
- Support membership database maintenance and management
- Attend LSW industry networking events and represent LSW at events of members and partner organizations
- Bachelor’s degree mandatory, preferably in science or engineering; MBA a huge plus
- Ideally, the candidate will have at least 2 years of experience in business development, direct sales, sales management, or nonprofit membership development and a passion for the life sciences
- This is a relationship driven position, therefore excellent interpersonal skills are a must
- Ability to clearly and accurately represent the goals, features, and benefits of various LSW programs
- Outstanding customer service ethics and high expectations for quality
- Excellent written and verbal (customer presentation) communication skills; demonstrated ability to network with all levels in an organization to develop long term membership relationships
- Must work well on teams and possess ability to seek and accept feedback from colleagues and leaders
- Ability to work independently, and to effectively manage multiple tasks and needs; excellent organizational skills a must
- Computer proficiency (PC-Windows preferred) and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and database software
- Flexibility, a helpful, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor are essential
- Willingness to step in and help wherever needed
Working conditions: Some travel is required (less than 10%). General office work environment. Occasional evening meetings.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; excellent employee benefits package.
Location: Seattle/Eastlake neighborhood