The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas, including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Cost Effectiveness; Local Burden of Disease; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Chief Communications and Engagement Officer. The focus of this position is formulating and spearheading delivery of IHME’s data and research into the hands of the relevant international decision makers. This will entail translating IHME estimates into digestible, and policy relevant insights, and creating a diverse set of storytelling and campaign initiatives that make IHME’s data accessible, and that enhance the visibility and uptake of IHME’s work with key partners, IHME’s collaborator network, and major population health stakeholders. The Chief Communications and Engagement Officer will also be charged with giving political and policy guidance to IHME leadership. The CCEO leads a team responsible for data visualizations, marketing, publications, and media outreach. The CCEO will provide leadership over media relationships and website and will ensure that IHME’s online data visualizations and insights are designed in a way that is cutting-edge, accessible, engaging, and audience appropriate. The CCEO will also support IHME’s high volume of scientific publications, facilitating and nurturing relationships with key academic journals.
The position requires someone who is intellectually agile, and can act as an effective ambassador for IHME across multiple cultural and professional audiences. The CCEO will lead a high-performing team in an ambitious, entrepreneurial, and high-energy workplace. This position will be front and center in supporting IHME in achieving its goals, by establishing and sustaining productive partnerships and by ensuring that IHME’s outputs are infused into conversations and decisions between global leaders in health and inform their decision-making. This requires political savvy, strong intuition, and the ability to translate IHME’s outputs into tangible stories and storylines that resonate with the population health global community and other relevant audiences.
Leadership and Management
- Formulate and spearhead the delivery of IHME’s data and research into the hands of the relevant international decision makers, influencers or advocates targeting these decision makers.
- Develop and implement strategic campaigns to encourage the use of IHME’s outputs by key external organizations, decision-makers and the collaborator network as part of their own decision-making efforts.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team of IHME to set organizational policies, ensure organizational health, and sustain a vibrant, ambitious, and entrepreneurial community.
- Guide the Director’s Office in strategically positioning IHME as an influencer and resource within this growing network.
- Maximize the use of key senior leaders’ time in engagement – and relationship-building activities and guide IHME leadership in those efforts.
- Diplomatically form effective high-level relationships with key partner organizations such as donors, government ministries, and other research institutions.
- Ensure that IHME’s online presence is cutting-edge and accessible, through data visualizations and through the website.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Visualization and Web Development to broaden the understanding of visualization tools and technology in order to improve implementation and expand access to more audiences
- Support IHME’s high volume of scientific publications, facilitating and nurturing relationships with key academic journals.
- Track success of the team against a set of key performance indicators.
- Enable strategic collaboration across teams to ensure alignment of message and drive greater reach and impact.
- Manage team resources, including budget, in alignment with strategic goals.
Brand Marketing. Media Relations & Content
- Lead an agile and dynamic team charged with media network cultivation and engagement, marketing, publications and outreach.
- Create strategic communication and engagement plans that help IHME to reach multiple targeted audiences and apply innovative approaches to translating data into compelling visuals, stories and insights.
- Develop brand marketing efforts, including cultivating a unique brand voice and content strategy that establishes IHME as a thought leader and partner.
- Ensure high visibility and effective dissemination of key IHME products.
- Position IHME as a leader in interactive visualization tools and data storytelling.
- Frame and promote IHME’s work through a variety of mechanisms, including print, interactive visualizations, the web, and social media.
- Advise on crisis management and critical communications tools.
- Understand and articulate to multiple audiences the major areas of research undertaken at IHME and their policy relevance.
- Persuasively express the way in which IHME’s research and training feeds its mission, and how in turn that has a tangible impact in population health around the globe.
- Become a skilled emissary for IHME and its mission with high-level external actors from a variety of sectors.
- Understand the design and high-level technical details of IHME’s visualization tools and website; articulate best practices related to user-centered design and data storytelling.
- Act as an able ambassador and champion for IHME internally and externally, promoting collaboration and direct engagement aligned with IHME’s principles
- Formulate style guidelines and policies that ensure high-quality standards for all IHME engagement, marketing, publications, media outreach, and internal communications activities
- Provide training in critical communications
- Create and sustain an ambitious, driven, and high-performing work environment on the team.
- Set goals and provide both supervision and mentorship to staff
- Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position
A Bachelor’s degree and minimum 15 years of experience in public affairs, public relations, health policy, public policy or a related field, ideally including experience in an international organization.
- Experience designing, managing and implementing campaign strategies and supporting communications/advocacy materials to strengthen partnerships and achieve greater use of branded products
- Demonstrated experience diplomatically cultivating strong relationships with senior staff working for donors, government agencies, other research institutions, and advocacy organizations
- Experience translating complex data into compelling content, narratives and visuals (both interactive and static) that are accessible and engaging across a range of global audiences, and the ability to build and manage partnerships with media, think tanks, design firms and advocacy organizations, that enhance the ability to disseminate the content.
- Experience leading creation of interactive visualization tools; familiarity with technical specifications and design best practices.
- Political savvy and keen insights into emergent opportunities to increase the impact of the organization’s mission; ability to translate conceptual principles and high-level goals into tangible achievements
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to navigate a complex organizational culture with a highly diverse group of stakeholders.
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to work and thrive in a fast paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Experience with and knowledge of population health issues and actors would be beneficial
Conditions of Employment: Evening and weekend work may be required. Travel will be required, up to 20%.