Malaria No More (MNM) envisions a world where no one dies of a mosquito bite. More than a decade into its mission, MNM’s work has contributed to historic progress toward this goal. Now, it’s mobilizing the political commitment, funding, and innovation required to achieve what would be one of the greatest humanitarian accomplishments—ending malaria within our generation.
MNM is a global organization with offices in Seattle, Washington, D.C., New York, Cameroon, and India as well as two affiliate organizations in London and Tokyo.
This is a full-time, exempt role and is eligible for MNM’s comprehensive benefits package, including high-quality medical/dental/vision coverage, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 14 paid holidays, summer Friday flex time and paid parental leave, medical/dependent care/commuter FSAs, short- and long-term disability and life insurance, and a 401K plan with an employer safe harbor contribution.
The Global Strategic Communications team contributes to achieving MNM’s ambitious goal by:
- Reinvigorating the malaria campaign and elevating the malaria narrative in key markets – U.S., India, target African countries – to maximize existing and new donor resources for the malaria fight;
- Engaging and activating political leaders, influencers and an upcoming generation of leaders to energize the malaria fight and reinforce political leadership;
- Expanding partner capacity, engagement and effectiveness; and,
- Contributing to MNM’s organizational impact goals
Malaria No More’s Communications Officer will play a supporting role in raising awareness and creating a sense of urgency and momentum to encourage and reinforce policy maker commitments to end malaria within a generation. They also will be responsible for supporting MNM’s role within the RBM Partnership to End Malaria to align global partners to create a clear, consistent and positive narrative for malaria and increase partner capacity, engagement and effectiveness. Their work will support strategic outreach to donor and malaria-affected government, NGO and private sector audiences.
In this capacity the Communications Officer will work in partnership with other MNM team members, consultants and external partners to support MNM’s mission of delivering financing and political will to advance global commitment to eradicate malaria within a generation.
Reports to: Managing Director, Global Strategic Communications
Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactive media outreach, including drafting press releases and statements, managing and identifying reporters to engage, and regularly interfacing with media covering global health issues
- Closely follow malaria news and conversation to understand trends and identify proactive and reactive opportunities
- Co-manage MNM’s digital communications channels including:
- Social media – writing, creating and posting content and engaging with influencers and partners
- Website – updating and posting content, visuals, photos, updating statistics etc.
- Develop and implement communications plans for key milestones and initiatives in the malaria fight
- Support the Managing Director, Global Strategic Communications in their role as the co-chair of the RBM Partnership to End Malaria’s Strategic Communications Partner Committee. This includes coordinating communications strategies with a number of external partners including the World Health Organization, the Gates Foundation, Speak Up Africa, the African Leaders Malaria Alliance, and others.
- Help plan and coordinate malaria-related events across MNM teams and external partners
- Work closely with MNM’s Policy and Advocacy, Development and Programs teams to achieve organization-wide goals
- Provide administrative support such as organizing meetings, taking minutes, developing presentations and materials for board of directors and partners, organizing Dropbox and keeping track of media hits, and distributing newsletters via MailChimp.
Required Skills and Desired Credentials
- Minimum 4-6 years of communications and advocacy experience required. BA in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations preferred.
- Understanding of media landscape and communications trends and tools including a proven ability to place media, write press releases, prepare interview briefs and liaise with journalists and editors.
- writing and editing skills
- Experience managing social media channels on a daily basis
- Experience with media tracking and media engagement tools, e.g., MuckRack and Meltwater
- Desire to learn, innovate and evolve approaches as new opportunities arise and the media and policy landscapes change
- Ability to think strategically, collaborate across teams, and use limited resources to maximum effect
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an energetic, creative and resourceful thinker and doer
- Ability to engage effectively with a network of global partners
- Proven ability to take initiative in a self-directed environment and prioritize and complete projects in a timely manner, while proactively anticipating obstacles and reporting updates
- Good sense of humor
- Desire to work in a dynamic, nimble and entrepreneurial environment, with ability to work efficiently under tight timeframes, manage multiple projects and shift gears to strategically take advantage of new opportunities
- Innate curiosity and desire to learn about malaria and global health, and to grow communications skills and knowledge
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Passion for social impact and enthusiasm for Malaria No More’s mission to end one of the world’s oldest and deadliest diseases within a generation
- Fluent in English (verbal and written skills in French a plus)
- Strong computer skills required, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; WordPress and MailChimp (a plus).
MNM offers a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and a full benefits package.
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Officer, Global Strategic Communications – Full Name”:
- A concise cover letter explaining why you would like to be considered
- Your CV
No telephone calls please.
Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MNM is an equal opportunity employer.