The Digital Content Specialist is responsible for growing Benaroya Research Institute’s (BRI) online reputation, visibility and community, leading to increased web traffic, blog readership, engagement and support. This person plans, writes, curates and posts all social media communications in collaboration with PR agency/writers, following best practices informed by social listening and data analytics. This role drives online ad campaigns and lead generation efforts and serves as editor of the Autoimmune Life blog, contributing articles and other written content for BRI as needed. This position reports to the Director of Marketing Communications and External Relations and serves as the institute’s liaison to disease organizations social media and online influencers, journalists and community groups.
- In consultation with the Director and in collaboration with PR agency and news editors, plans annual social media strategy and quarterly editorial calendars, aligned with other publication and website content, informed by social listening and data analytics.
- Generate, curate and post content across all social media networks and respond to comments and questions following social media guidelines.
- Monitor and generate quarterly metric reports of online activity and engagement, sharing insights and best practices.
- Forge productive, collaborative relationships across Virginia Mason and coordinate social media efforts across organization with Virginia Mason Communications and Foundation team members.
- Provide social media technical assistance and advice to BRI leadership, staff and Ambassadors Council as well as coordinating with Employee Engagement Specialist to support online staff recruitment efforts.
- Help write and produce high-quality corporate communications materials and fact sheets to support online outreach, as needed.
- Provide event and tour support in collaboration with Community Engagement Specialist
- Execute general administrative tasks to support the Director and department.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field
- 4 years work experience in public relations, journalism or communications role
- Strong writing background and ability to translate complex scientific information
- Familiarity with major social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, blog) and accompanying measurement tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the confidence to work with and advise people at all levels of the organization, both staff and volunteers
- Collaborative, strong team player
- Demonstrated wisdom and judgement in dealing with people and sensitive health issues
- Experience in a non-profit organization or PR/ad agency preferred
- Knowledge and experience with Sprout Social, Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat
- Willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours
Visit https://www.benaroyaresearch.org/resources/careers to apply for this position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.