Are you a pioneer and innovative thinker, interested in shaping your job in a nascent sector? Can you think strategically to inform/advise a global strategy in an evolving environment, and act tactically to lead work in your region? Are you interested in helping lead a Network that is driving change in global and public health? Are you a partner-sector collaborator with the network and ability to crowd-in a diverse set of partners around pandemic preparedness and response? Do you have a can-do attitude to help establish and build a regional hub, including fundraising, to support pandemic response and preparedness?
Do you thrive when you can flex a variety of strengths and problem-solve in a dynamic environment? Do you identify as a connector who enjoys being an informational and project lead for a high-achieving team? If so, this job will enable you to play a critical role co-leading a team that is moving the needle toward a better future.
Pandemic Action Network is seeking a strong leader, manager, collaborator and master doer who can connect dots and lead work in a fast-paced international environment. A successful candidate for Director of Policy & Advocacy in Africa is highly perceptive, agile, a crisp communicator, a skilled advocate, a strategic thinker, and an effective leader. This role is new and will become part of Pandemic Action Network’s leadership team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing a regional strategy across the African continent. The job is envisioned to help establish a regional hub for pandemic response and preparedness that will operate somewhat independently but in conjunction with the Network’s broader strategy.
The position is a full-time role and eligible for remote work in Sub-Saharan Africa and will work closely with two full-time Co-Founders of the Pandemic Action Network, one of which is based in Brussels and the other in Washington DC, and two full-time Directors who lead communication/partnerships and strategy/operations/finance, based in the U.S..
- Develop a regional strategy for pandemic response and preparedness and mobilize resources to fund the establishment of a regional hub for Pandemic Action Network in Africa
- Recruit, engage and mobilize Pandemic Action Network partnerships and a diverse set of pandemic preparedness and response advocacy champions across the continent, including relationships with leaders, policymakers, funders, implementers advocates, innovators, private sector leaders, and influencers
- Navigate policymaking processes globally and help inform them with an African perspective to support the needs of LMICs
- In African markets, help drive, coordinate and advance regional and national health and development policy agendas linked to pandemic response and preparedness
- Create and leverage political support for pandemic related policies, including developing policy briefs and positions
- Funding dependent, build a team on the African continent to develop and advance a pandemic response and preparedness strategy
- Support partner-led pandemic preparedness and response advocacy at national level in select geographies
- Provide perspective on AU, and individual states’ government policy objectives as they relate to pandemic preparedness, and advocate to governments/multilateral organizations on specific topics
- Help integrate and amplify the voices and experiences of African stakeholders into the broader work of the Pandemic Action Network
- Convene events, working groups, and workshops to inform and align partners across the region on policy advocacy priorities and actions, and highlight progress, gaps, and learnings
- Participate in Network leadership meetings and support strategy development, execution and evaluation
- Lead and coordinate the Network program and activities in Africa
- At least 15 years experience in government or civil society leadership roles
- Knowledge of global policy mechanisms
- Preferred experience in global health
- Experience working in a global organization and across sectors
- Proven experience in effectively managing and growing multi-market teams
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to Pandemic Action Network’s mission and knowledge/interest in global health policy and advocacy
- Organized, detail-oriented with strong logistics, planning, and coordination skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills to engage with high-level and global stakeholders
- Ability to work diplomatically and effectively collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment, often with ambiguity, and liaising with multiple stakeholders while ensuring high quality deliverables and strong relationships
- Strong and demonstrable track record in successful ‘low-ego’ leadership and management of multicultural, diverse and international teams.
- Adept at working remotely and across time zones, utilizing global communication tools
- Ability to work proactively and without oversight
- Entrepreneurial and problem-solving mindset
- Zoom, Microsoft Office, Google docs proficiency
Compensation and benefits will depend on the experience, education, and location of the candidate and team equity.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter on our Careers Page portal.
Panorama Global is the secretariat for the Pandemic Action Network. Panorama is a platform for social change dedicated to solving the world’s most intractable problems.
Panorama Global is tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
Panorama is committed to creating a diverse team and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We know that representation matters in the workplace and with our partners; to that end we are committed to a hiring process grounded in equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship or immigration status, national origin, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, political ideology, the presence of any physical, mental, or sensory disability, age, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Panorama complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Panorama’s People & Culture team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final offer will be contingent on a successful background and references check.