Global Good (GG) is an invention development fund managed by Intellectual Ventures in partnership with Bill Gates. GG’s charter is to solve challenging problems facing low resource settings by using innovative, appropriate technologies, and business development models. GG’s focus is primarily on the invention and proof of concept work, collaborating with partners that will drive commercialization and deployment of self-sustaining product concepts. GG works very closely with The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (“BMGF”) Trust, and with governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and commercial partners to target, conceive, develop and deploy inventions that improve and save lives. The technologies are developed in collaboration with the Intellectual Ventures laboratory.
Intellectual Ventures (“IV”) is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world’s most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
The objective of the Director – Global Health Technologies is to lead a team to create and manage a portfolio addressing health and health-related development in low resource settings. The position will drive overall health strategy, develop priorities, and guide product development, based on a sound knowledge of medical and health-related needs of the target population. The role will involve close collaboration with partners for product development and evaluation. Strategy setting will be closely informed by the priorities of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, focusing on technology innovation for public health in low-resource settings. Work will be performed under the direction and leadership of the VP, Product Development and Commercialization Strategy.
Lead the Global Health Technologies team at Global Good and work closely with the Intellectual Ventures Laboratory, to:
- Drive strategy and guide priority setting for development of health technologies and health-related development technologies, with an emphasis on primary care and community-level development in lowresource settings
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of health priorities and opportunities both globally and in our primary target markets of in Africa and Asia
- Provide leadership and medical domain expertise (pathology, infectious disease, epidemiology, clinical management) to Global Good (GG) and Intellectual Ventures Laboratory (IVL)
- Build and manage a team with appropriate expertise and experience to implement GG priorities in the health and health development fields
- Direct product definition through delivery of target product profiles that define critical attributes to maximize product impact
- Work closely with Intellectual Ventures Laboratory and partners to identify and assess technologies and to develop selected technologies
- Work with internal and external partner entities, and closely
- Work with internal and external partner entities, and closely with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to plan and oversee implementation of technical and field evaluations of IV Lab and partner technologies
- Work closely with the Global Good (GG) commercialization team to assure product implementation is aligned with target market requirements
- Oversee and report on Global Good projects and participate in wider project development and priority setting within Global Good
- Represent Global Good at international forums and with partners and collaborators
- Support other activities of Global Good on request of the VP
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in clinical medicine (MD or equivalent) or comparable PhD in a relevant health field, Masters or equivalent level degree in public health
- At least 10 years of professional work experience including field implementation associated with health programs in low-resource settings, including primary health care and infectious diseases, clinical management, clinical laboratory operation and public health programs
- Experience in health product development with a focus on clinical diagnostics and medical devices, including liaison with industry and with major health research and clinical trials organizations
- Ideally experienced with device-related product development and working closely with engineering and bioscience teams
- Experience working with major international health organizations in implementation of public health programs
- Experienced leader of a team of professional staff with diverse skills and background with strong collaboration skills
- Excellent writing skills in English
Success metrics for this position include:
- leadership for the clear identification and articulation of priorities and opportunities in health product development, health systems and interventions, technologies/innovations identified;
- strategic and programmatic relationships formed and maintained;
- successful oversight of development projects in diagnostic and other technologies to deliver products with impact in our target markets.
The position is based near Seattle in Bellevue, Washington. Salary commensurate with experience. International travel will be required.
To apply for this position, click here.
Global good is an equal opportunity employer.