IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Full Stack Web Developer on our Data Tools Team. Our websites are highly visible and are often featured in news outlets, journal publications, and online resources; they are instrumental in helping policymakers around the world make informed decisions to improve people’s health; and they are critical to the day-to-day operations of the Institute. The Data Tools Team is looking for an experienced developer who can leverage PHP, Python, various frameworks, and other technologies to create custom web applications and internal tools, many of which support the workflows of IHME staff. The developer is responsible for implementing and modifying features and performing routine maintenance and support for IHME’s sites, web applications, and tools. The Full Stack Web Developer will report to the Software Development Manager.
Website and Application Development and Maintenance
- Develop new websites and extend functionality of existing sites for Institute projects.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use and improve existing code and its design by applying appropriate refactorings.
- Test code, features, business rules, and integrations.
- Automate testing by writing test code.
- Install and maintain application dependencies.
- Write and maintain thorough documentation of all programs and procedures.
- Troubleshoot and fix website, application, and server issues.
- Document and fix bugs.
- Work closely with Project Managers and other staff members to collect requirements, estimate work, and ensure that projects are delivered according to schedule.
- Plan for, coordinate, and execute software deployments.
- Assist with design for new websites and features.
- Become familiar with the components of IHME data tools and their purpose.
- Explore new technologies and make recommendations as to their adoption.
- Learn cutting-edge methods and how to apply them.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a productive member of the Technology team and the Institute as a whole.
- Participate in the overall community of the Institute, carrying out duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience plus a minimum 3 years’ experience as a full stack web developer
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including a strong team ethic
- Experience implementing Web UIs from conceptual designs
- Experience querying and manipulating data and structures in an RDBMS such as MySQL
- Experience with the Unix/Linux command line and CLI tools
- Experience with source code management tools such as Git
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with unit testing, continuous integration, and CI tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with Drupal 7 or 8 module development, configuration, and migration
- Experience with user-centered design
- Experience consuming and implementing Web APIs
- Experience with Docker or other containerization technologies
- Experience with agile development methodologies
Conditions of Employment:
- Weekend and evening work sometimes required.