Position title: Health and Life Sciences Research Program Analyst (Nutrition focus)
Team: Health & Life Sciences
Term: 1-year limited-term contract with possibility of extension.
Applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Location: Kirkland, WA
Compensation: Competitive salary
Gates Ventures is the private office of Mr. Bill Gates. Our mission is to catalyze innovations that solve global problems and improve the lives of the world’s poorest people. We do this by incubating products, advocating for important causes, engaging with global organizations, and managing venture investments.
Exemplars in Global Health (“EGH”) is one of these new initiatives under incubation in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. We aim to adapt successful global health solutions to new contexts by conducting research and analysis to improve funding and policy decisions, both internally and externally. After three years of incubation, the program is slated for expansion and scale-up. Our goals are to produce high quality research and to use that research to drive improvements in how policymakers and funders deal with the most pressing global health challenges.
The successful candidate will be excited to drive the end-to-end success of innovative global health research into the drivers of the most dramatic improvements in nutrition around the world. The role will drive partnerships with top global researchers and experts to answer fundamental questions about nutrition solutions to global challenges like stunting, low birth-weight, anemia, and wasting, and then work with our partnerships team to drive this research through to impact on policy-makers. This role will work to (1) shape and improve the primary research we are undertaking with leading academic researchers, (2) guide that research through a translation and publication process, helping to shape narratives and lead a team of writers, researchers, and developers to create a compelling product that will add to the global conversation, and (3) support the process of translating the research output into policy impact, shaping our approach to engaging external stakeholders.
Ultimately, we seek to create a compelling product that will support policy makers, funders, advocates, and researchers to improve the quality of global health decisions.
You are the ideal candidate if you are
• A strong problem solver: You can break down problems using structure and logic and find a smart solution that fits with the bigger picture.
• Flexible: You can juggle multiple tasks and priorities and thrive in environments with ambiguity and rapid change. You are just as comfortable engaging with high-level stakeholders as you are scheduling meetings and analyzing data sets.
• A strong and concise communicator: You can quickly and effectively communicate your ideas or explain your thinking to bring others along.
• Able to work with diverse stakeholders: You’re able to understand the working styles and needs of a wide variety of stakeholders and adapt effectively (e.g., academics, executives, creative designers).
• Data-driven and analytical: You believe that anything worth doing is worth measuring, and love using data to drive insights. You are driven by intellectual curiosity.
• Global Health Research and Program Coordination (50%): Work closely with content experts, academic, and foundation partners to drive global health strategy and policy research project, including scientific literature reviews and analysis, deep dives on specific policy or content bodies of work, and editorial process management for larger content development projects.
• Plan, execute, and track key partner engagements (15%): Manage communications and materials development for key external engagement and meetings, as well as supporting partnership development processes and communication tracking.
• Data and analytics (15%): Lead rapid data and analytics workstreams in partnership with leading academics and to answer policy and strategy questions for internal and external decision-makers.
• Special projects and initiatives (20%): Support leadership in new, high-priority efforts as opportunities arise. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• 3+ years in an analytically and programmatically rigorous environment – management consulting, research and analytics, or
• Strong communications, including strong writing, presentations, and ability to efficiently synthesize materials
• Strong analytical capability, including significant experience analyzing large data sets in Excel, Stata, R, or similar software
• Experience organizing and driving complex projects
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS For questions or to apply, email email@example.com with an updated CV, the names and email addresses for two references, and the role(s) you are applying for. In the subject line, please use the following format: [First Name] [Last Name] – [Role Title].