The consultant will serve in the role of Medical Coordinator for a maximum duration of up to 90 days (up to 40 hours a week based on actual time worked). The consultant will be flexible, able to manage time; and, be prepared to tackle other tasks commensurate with role, and level of experience, on short notice.
The expectation of this role is to provide strategic support to the Medical Teams – Field Operations Team, specifically in relation to the Tigray crisis in Ethiopia and Sudan and the Los Caminantes community health assistance project in Tunja, Colombia. Additional location and Medical Coordination roles as they emerge.
Tasks likely to be undertaken as directed by local country office leadership:
- Assess health needs through facility assessments, key informant interviews, surveys to identify humanitarian health needs and define key interventions required to address needs.
- Complete assessment reports on needs and support the presentation of them to donors with Medical Teams staff.
- Support establishment of new health responses through presenting proposals for negotiations to the country team with local authorities (MoH, local government and coordination entities and other NGOs), define activities, design of org charts, hiring and training of new staff and begin implementation activities as a part of direct health services, health systems strengthening or community systems strengthening.
- Collaborate with the local logistics team to support procurement of medical items to required specifications and quality per Medical Teams procurement guidelines and those of relevant donors
- Represent Medical Teams through active participation in local and national coordination platforms such as the Health Cluster or Sector working groups or task teams.
- Establish and support health information systems for monitoring program implementation and health trends in line with the local MOH and coordination body requirements.
- Establish beneficiary tracking platforms and accountability mechanisms.
- Collaborate with response leadership to monitor work plans, identify and complete other relevant response startup tasks.
- Ensures the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and Employee Code of Conduct policies.
- Develops strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Assists in organizing and leading donor and monitoring site visits to health program activities; travel with donors as necessary.