Gates Ventures is the private office established by Mr. Bill Gates in September 2008 (formerly known as bgC3). The group’s mission is to catalyze innovations that improve the lives of the world’s poorest people and this includes product and technology incubation, think tank-like advisory function, advocacy, marketing and venture management.
Among these new ventures is a pilot effort called Exemplars in Global Health (“EGH”) aiming to learn from countries which have successfully tackled a global health challenge and use this evidence to improve funding and policy making decisions, both internally and externally. After a year of incubation, the program has spun up initial operation and is slated for expansion and scale-up depending on critical milestones at the end of 2018. Their goals are to produce high quality primary research, transform and package their research into actionable and engaging outputs, and use that research to drive policy and funding priorities.
The Lead, Child Health Exemplars Project candidate will be excited to own the end-to-end success of innovative global health research into the drivers of the most dramatic reductions in child mortality around the world.
This role will work to
- Shape and improve the primary research they are undertaking with a group of academic researchers,
- Guide that research through a product design and development process, helping to shape narratives and lead a team of writers, researchers, and developers to create a compelling product that will add to the global conversation, and
- Lead the process of translating the research output into policy impact, shaping their approach to engaging external stakeholders, from health ministries to global funders and technical advisors.
Gates Ventures is seeking an experienced professional to drive forward their research on improving child health and ensure the program has impact.
- Lead the team working to write, produce and project manage the research process, including academic researchers, journalists, project management and analytic support, and a product and user design team
- Drive external relationships with academic research partners, other stakeholders in the ecosystem, and lead engagement of new potential partners and users
- Ensure research and output reaches high standards for quality, rigor, and actionability, as measured through frequent user input and testing cycles
- Lead efforts to improve efficiency, speed, and scalability of the research process, while building systems to improve quality
- Drive user testing processes with pilot content, leading an iterative design approach to product development
- Work with dissemination and advocacy partners to build out a long-term plan for ensuring the research has impact on policy and funding decisions
- 10+ years of experience in global health research, policy, or development-focused consulting at a leading organization
- Background in research or advocacy related to major drivers of child mortality
- Experience leading high-performing teams to hit aggressive goals
- Track record of increasing responsibility in competitive environments
This position is part of the Team Health & Life Sciences, and reports to the Director of Health & Life Sciences.
The position is a 1-year limited term contract with potential for renewal (3-month trial period at start of engagement).
Interested candidates are invited to email a CV to Oliver.Rothschild@gatesventures.com