IHME has an excellent opportunity for a Postdoctoral Scholar to join the Education team. This team engages in methodological development and analysis to promote internationally comparable measurement of three relevant indicators in target 4.1 – learning in basic education, completion rate and out of school children – as well as their equity dimensions, covered by SDG target 4.5. This area of work also produces a set of estimates as part of the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors (GBD) Study. The GBD is a systematic, scientific effort to quantify the comparative magnitude of health loss due to diseases, injuries, and risk factors by age, sex, and geography over time, and is the largest and most comprehensive effort to date to measure epidemiological levels and trends worldwide.
IHME Postdoctoral Scholars produce key estimates for their assigned research team and will assess all available quantitative data from surveys, vital registration, censuses, literature, registries, and administrative records. Using established modeling tools and through creation of novel code, Postdoctoral Scholars incorporate all relevant data to produce the most up-to-date and scientifically credible results.
- Develop a core understanding of education research methodology and its components.
- Independently carry out quantitative analyses and participate in reciprocal research projects. Interpret and vet results from junior staff, formulate conclusions and inform team leaders.
- Develop, quality check, and distribute complex data sets to be used in epidemiological and statistical analyses.
- Develop and implement new computational and statistical methods. Create, test, and use relevant computer code in R. Maintain, modify, and execute analytic machinery that generates publicly-available results.
- Contribute to drafting of presentations, manuscripts, and funding proposals. Lead and co-author scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintain scientific awareness and intellectual agility with data, methods, and analytic techniques.
- Provide ideas and content for the development of internal trainings. Teach established trainings.
- Contribute to research design.
- Other duties as assigned that fall within reasonable scope of research team.