Global Good (GG) is an invention development fund managed by Intellectual Ventures in partnership with Bill Gates. GG’s charter is to solve challenging problems facing low resource settings by using innovative, appropriate technologies, and business development models. GG’s focus is primarily on the invention and proof of concept work, collaborating with partners that will drive commercialization and deployment of self-sustaining product concepts. GG works very closely with The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (“BMGF”) Trust, and with governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and commercial partners to target, conceive, develop and deploy inventions that improve and save lives. The technologies are developed in collaboration with the Intellectual Ventures laboratory.
Intellectual Ventures (“IV”) is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world’s most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
The objective of the Primary Health Care (PHC) Portfolio Lead is to oversee development and execution of the PHC strategy. The strategy is focused on technologies designed to improve the capacity of primary health clinics to deliver quality and patient centered medical care that is based on accurate clinical and diagnostic information, integrated dynamic data management for decision making, and appropriate infrastructure. The strategy will be informed by a deep understanding of medical and public health issues impacting primary healthcare in the low resource setting and through collaboration with partners looking to implement solutions. In addition, the candidate is expected to prioritize and drive PHC projects within Global Good’s Global Health Technology portfolio and participate in the broader implementation of technologies in global health. The role will involve close collaboration with partners for product development, product evaluation and commercialization. Work will be performed in close collaboration with peer domain experts under the Director, Global Health Technology.
Work within the Global Health Technology team at The Global Good Fund and Intellectual Ventures Laboratory to:
- Guide priority setting for development of diagnostics and other technologies supporting primary health care.
- Develop target product profiles for priority areas for technology development
- Work closely with Intellectual Ventures Laboratory and partners to identify and assess candidate technologies and assist in developing and monitoring work plans.
- Guide the development of technology related to high-impact areas of primary health care, including integration of biometrics, real-time monitoring of health status and decision support tools for primary care providers.
- Develop networks and relationships for strategy and product development support, including relevant areas of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and other expert groups.
- Work with internal and external partners to plan and oversee implementation of technical and field evaluations of IV Lab and partner technologies.
- Work with Global Good and partners to plan for product introduction and uptake.
- Participate in other areas of priority for the Global Health Technology portfolio and participate in wider project development and priority setting within Global Good.
- Represent Global Good at international forums and with partners and collaborators.
- International travel as needed is required but is typically 20-30%.
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Advanced degree in public health or a related field, with a degree in clinical medicine (MD or equivalent) required.
- At least 10 years of professional work experience associated with health systems and working within low-resource countries.
- Deep knowledge, contacts and experience related to primary healthcare in low resource settings.
- Demonstrated experience in field research in health in low-resource settings.
- Understanding of clinical and laboratory needs and operations in low-resource settings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of product development or research laboratory settings. Product Management experience is beneficial.
- Demonstrated experience working with major international health organizations in implementation of health programs.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Clear identification and articulation of technological priorities and opportunities for improving primary healthcare solutions.
- Strategic and programmatic relationships management.
- Successful oversight of development projects in diagnostic and other technologies within the PHC assuring adherence to the target product profile to maximize impact.
To apply for this position, click here.
Global Good is an equal opportunity employer.