RTI International is currently accepting applications for the position of Project Coordinator (Project Management Specialist) within the International Development Group’s Learning, Energy and Environment for Development (LEED) Division. LEED is a growing Division with an expanding portfolio of work. This Project Coordinator will be one of two new PCs working within LEED’s energy program area. Working closely with other project management team members, the Project Coordinator provides operational and coordination support to projects and project management teams.
The successful candidate will be expected to have an exceptional ability to plan and organize work, develop tools, prepare and summarize reports and other materials, and follow through on agreed upon actions, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude with other team members in a fast-paced and demanding environment. S/he must be a strong communicator, be energetic and show initiative, demonstrate a willingness to take on challenges, while at the same time appreciating the scope of the position and his/her role within the team.
The position can be based either in Washington, DC or in the Research Triangle Park, NC and will require international travel.
This position is responsible for a wide range of financial and operational project and proposal support tasks. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Leading project management activities within LEED’s portfolio, from project start-up to closeout.
- Advanced daily oversight and coordination of complex activities for a multi-country USAID-funded energy program.
- Mentoring and support to junior operations staff.
- Responsible for internal and external financial reporting.
- Monitoring and analysis of cost performance.
- Collaborate with Project Management to identify and mitigate risks.
- Responsible for leading and managing start-up and closeout processes as needed.
- Developing and maintaining project management schedules, work plans, and other general project management resources and tools.
- Establishing and maintaining financial tracking tools and budgets, monitoring expenses and helping to design and implement strategies that address financial performance issues and help to identify risk.
- Supporting the recruitment and onboarding of field- and home-office based project staff and other human resources processes, including identification of short-term technical assistance needs and resources.
- Preparing travel and consultant approval requests, information for contract modification requests, and other actions for submission to clients.
- Supporting the contracting and monitoring of subcontractors and consultants, reviewing invoices; modifying contracts when needed; ensuring payments are made in a timely manner.
- Participating in procurement processes and ensuring compliance.
- Liaising and coordinating support services from RTI business partners and regional offices.
- Tracking completed/approved deliverables, especially those required for USAID’s Development Experience Clearinghouse (DEC) and RTI managed websites.
- Ensuring accurate and compliant record keeping; monitoring and leading any correction process required to ensure project documentation, deliverables and data are maintained consistently in accordance with policies and standards.
- Providing general reporting to project management teams.
- Supporting business and proposal development as assigned.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The position is expected to support projects 80% of the time, proposals 10%, and other tasks as required, 10%.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in international affairs, environmental policy, or relevant social science, with at least three years related professional experience; or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant social science discipline with at least six years of relevant work experience.
Experience in project administration and proposal development is required. Experience with USAID required. Experience with other international donors is a plus.
Experience in direct or indirect field management preferred.
Prior experience working, studying, or traveling in developing countries highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding critical thinking skills and proven ability to identify issues and opportunities, provide solutions, and build consensus among multiple stakeholders.
- Proven ability to interact effectively with team members, partners and donors.
- Proven excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Proven excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Advanced Excel skills to facilitate budgeting and financial analysis; strong Word, Access, PowerPoint skills. Knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce, and Marketplace.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure, being a self-starter who works both independently and as a collaborative team player.
- Working knowledge of French is a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally and domestically for multiple weeks at a time.