Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine is recruiting for a Public Relations and Communications Coordinator to produce, develop, research, write, and edit, articles, news releases, newsletters, reports, brochures, videos, photos, web content, and other communications materials for external and internal audiences. This is a full-time position located in Pullman, Washington.
Summary of Duties
The Public Relations and Communications Coordinator is responsible for contributing to comprehensive public relations and leading communication strategies and activities for CVM Communications, including crisis communications support.
This position develops, researches, writes, edits, and coordinates complex original content for use in multiple communication media to promote and/or inform target audiences about the College of Veterinary Medicine.
This position curates and pitches story ideas by cultivating and maintaining relationships and effective communications with internal and external constituents, including the news media, with added emphasis placed on connecting with research faculty, students, and alumni.
This position develops and posts content to website and social media channels in line with communication strategies.
A Bachelor’s degree in public relations, mass communications or a relevant field AND three (3) years of professional experience in print or broadcast news media, public relations or marketing including proven experience with writing and editing skills; writing feature articles, brochures, annual reports and speeches; executing strategic communication plans and complex communication projects.
- Three (3) years of experience with digital media, journalism or media relations, including documented experience in interviewing for, researching, writing and broadcasting news stories.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style writing.
- Experience executing strategic communications plans and complex communication projects.
- Experience which demonstrates excellence in producing communications materials in multiple mediums for a wide variety of audiences, including written and visual.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Hootsuite.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Demonstrable skill in successfully interacting with a variety of diverse individuals and groups.
- Background in public information industries.
- Experience with or working in higher education.
- Basic knowledge of videography and photography.
- Familiarity with Washington State University.
- Experience with writing for a variety of media styles (including features, news releases, advertisements, brochures, social media, and the web).
- Experience with writing on science and research topics.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements. Applicants are required to include contact information for at least three (3) professional references in the application. Applications must be received electronically by 6/24/19.