Intellectual Ventures (IV) Laboratory is part of Intellectual Ventures’ efforts to support invention. IV Lab works on the very beginning stages of invention, validating the concept and refining the technology to demonstrate its potential for commercial or humanitarian use. IV Lab believes in the power of independent and unconventional approaches to problems. The broad range of Intellectual Ventures’ invention activity provides IV Lab the opportunity for a breadth of expertise across fields including computer network security, computational modeling, electrical and mechanical engineering, software development, chemistry, microbiology, materials science, nanotechnology, physics, medical devices, and aerospace engineering. IV Lab’s unique environment has attracted veteran technologists and scientists from leading companies and renowned academic, government and private laboratories.
The Electromechanical Devices Platform Group (EDPG) invents, designs, analyzes, prototypes, and tests new and groundbreaking electromechanical and mechanical devices to solve global health and global development challenges. EDPG staff members are skilled in mechanical and/or electrical engineering and design and typically have a degree in a related engineering field. They turn “art to part” in bringing together creative technical problem solving with prototype development with experience in the unique design and environmental needs of the developing world. EDPG staff members run the professional experience spectrum from junior designers focused on a particular engineering tool set, all the way up to senior project managers who can define a project from limited business problem information and potentially manage it all the way through to commercialization handoff.
The Senior Engineer (Electrical) will be expected to identify, nurture, and lead major projects within the EDPG. The successful candidate will be comfortable working both independently and leading multi-disciplinary projects, involving 5-10 colleagues in a collaborative environment of engineers, scientists, and technicians. The Senior Engineer (Electrical) will manage budgets, schedules, performance requirements, communicate progresses, and review the work of peers. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to think creatively and to operate within a flexible, fast-paced development program dedicated to converting advanced research into real-world functional solutions.
- Lead and manage small and large engineering prototype projects from feasibility stage to commercialization
- Develop and maintain project risk matrices and prioritized project deliverable lists to prevent unrecognized risks from causing schedule delays and budgetary over-runs
- Manage vendors strategically to anticipate and mitigate partnership risks
- Work with cross-functional technology development teams to define the product criteria for moving the project from concept into prototyping and then on into product development
- Develop project product requirements based on user needs and ensure the proposed solution meets performance, quality, and cost criteria
- Clearly communicate/present product development updates to internal and external team members, IV Lab executives and other stakeholders
- Design, build and test prototype electronic solutions that include functions such as filters, control/drive electronics, feedback systems, environmental monitoring, power conditioning
- Analyze circuit performance using a variety of analysis tools
- Design, build and test DAQ and post-processing systems
- Develop design architectures and partitioning of functions
- Perform high-level system modeling and algorithm development in Matlab
- Design and execute field demonstration programs in the Developing World, travelling to remote locations off the electrical and transportation grid to access efficacy of solutions and gather feedback
- This role has no direct reports, but candidate must be comfortable leading project teams whose success is vital to the overall objectives of the company
- BSEE and 15+ years of experience. MSEE or PhD in EE and 10+ years of experience preferred
- Multiple years of experience as an Electrical Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Electrical Design Engineer or related title
- Minimum of 5 years project management experience, including managing requirements, budgets, and schedules
- Design experience with analog, digital, and RF circuits is required
- Design experience with remote sensing, DSP, and computing algorithms
- Experience using version control systems and defect tracking software is required
- Experience analyzing circuit performance is required
- Experience using MatLab or Python to simulate system models and post-process test data is required
- Experience developing off grid solar applications preferred
- Proficiency in Labview is desired
- Proficiency in C, Python/Perl, and embedded RTOS is desired
- Proficiency with embedded control systems and debugging system performance is required
- Proficiency with test equipment (oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, vector network analyzer)
- Proficiency in use of electronics lab hand tools
- Experience working in the developing world a plus
- A working knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese, Amharic, Swahili or Arabic is a plus
Intellectual Ventures is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online at this link.