RTI International’s is seeking dynamic and qualified candidates for the position of Senior Manager Data Systems / Information and Communication Technology (ICT) (Internal Title: Senior Research Health Informaticist 1) within the International Development Group (IDG)’s Global Health Division (GHD). GHD currently has a staff of over 400 and programmatic work in over 25 countries. GHD implements broad-based programs in neglected tropical diseases; infectious diseases; and health systems strengthening, including health management information systems and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
The Senior Manager Data Systems / ICT will lead GHD’s HMIS / Data Systems team and oversee the team’s program portfolio, which includes stand-alone HMIS / data systems efforts as well as efforts in support of GHD projects. In this role the Senior Manager Data Systems / ICT will lead the development of a GHD-wide data strategy and oversee data systems and ICT-focused -and related activity development and implementation, provide targeted technical assistance to strengthen national and sub-national data systems to assure equitable, high quality and sustainable data platforms are being implemented. The ideal candidate will have experience across multiple regions (particularly Africa or Asia) and have a solid understanding of global best practices across a variety of geographic contexts. This position will report to the Vice President Global Health (if recruited at Director level) or the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, Learning & Adapting (MERLA) (if recruited at Senior Manager level). The position will be based in Washington, D.C., or Research Triangle Park, N.C.; in exceptional circumstances an alternate location may be considered.
Major responsibilities of this position include:
- Provides leadership and support for all aspects of GHD’s work in data systems / ICT, including strategy and business development.
- Leads the development and oversees the implementation of a coordinated data systems / ICT strategy to be implemented across GHD projects, including identifying GHD-wide and project data systems / ICT needs and capacity building opportunities, overseeing data systems / ICT applications across GHD, and serving as the primary data systems / ICT liaison between GHD and other groups within RTI.
- Provides targeted technical assistance to strengthen lower -and middle-income country (LMIC) national and sub-national HMIS / national and project data systems to ensure high quality and sustainable data / ICT platforms are being implemented.
- Reviews and contributes to the development of annual project budgets, work plans, quarterly, annual, and other project deliverables.
- Creates written documentation and technical diagrams of the functionality of software components, information / data flow, and entity relationships.
- Collaborates with GHD Portfolio Directors, senior technical experts and other program staff to identify and analyze opportunities and strategies for new business and program expansion for data systems / ICT at GHD level.
- Contributes to new business development efforts which could include one or more of the following: anticipating and planning for new business opportunities; meeting with clients in the pre-opportunity stage; leading capture planning and visits; developing technical and cost strategies and approaches; serving as proposal leader or lead technical writer for data systems / ICT bids; identifying and securing potential partners; and recruiting consultants and staff.
- Manage GHD’s data / ICT systems team, comprised of mid-level staff, directly supervising and mentoring team members as well as data systems / ICT projects’ staff.
- Actively contribute to further RTI’s scientific stature by presenting / publishing project findings at conferences, technical working group meetings, and in peer-reviewed literature.
- Represent RTI in interaction / networking with donors, strategic program partners and other stakeholders at technical meetings, events and fora to ensure engagement on the latest developments in data systems / ICT and other relevant technical areas.
Education and Experience:
- Masters-level degree in Public Health, computer science, informatics, software engineering or related field and at least 12 years of progressive experience in program design, management, and implementation.
- At least 5 years’ experience leading activities related to disease surveillance, data systems / health management information systems, and ICT in low or middle income countries
- Documented experience providing data systems / ICT technical assistance (e.g. landscape analysis, requirements elicitation) to evaluate and strengthen organizational and individual capacity in the governmental and non-governmental sectors at national and sub-national levels (business process analysis).
- Demonstrated experience managing the full software development life-cycle of mid- to large-sized projects (i.e., crossing multiple program areas and conflicting needs; requiring integration of multiple non-standardized applications or business processes; and requiring complex reporting and communication at the Agency and executive level) with minimal supervision.
- Experience developing and integrating APIs for data exchanges between DHIS2 and other data systems.
- Demonstrated and successful experience leading and supporting proposals in response to RFAs/RFPs for data systems / ICT.
- Demonstrated experience supervising and mentoring mid-level and junior-level staff, both at headquarter and field level.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of health information technology and public health IT standards including, semantic, exchange, privacy/security, etc., and applications, including EMRs, laboratory information systems (LIS), DHIS2, HIE, and others.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with common relational databases, i.e., SQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc., and a good understanding of extracting, transferring and transforming data (ETL).
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with applying general software development lifecycle (SDLC) and project management best practices methodologies, e.g., Agile, PRINCE2, RUP, etc.
- Strong knowledge of trends and established of network of actors in data systems / ICT.
- Proven track record in building successful relationships with donors, partners, and stakeholders in the global health community and ability to build consensus across diverse set of stakeholders.
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work collaboratively within a matrix-oriented environment
- Ability to produce thorough, high quality work within a tight timeframe.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship / team building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated skills at writing clearly and succinctly.
- Must be fluent (writing and speaking) in English. Additional language proficiency is desirable.
Applicants must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship. Applicants must be willing to travel up to 25% of time.