VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
The Senior Manager, Operations is responsible for administration and project management in the areas of general office operations, IT, global technology and systems, and legal and compliance in an international enterprise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Perform direct project management for new and improved VillageReach administrative and operations systems.
- Manage the Compliance & Program Support team to assure that (1) VillageReach complies with funder requirements including US Government contracting and award principles, and (2) that program staff are well supported in their business development and grant & contract administration responsibilities.
- Work with IT managed-services providers to assure responsive IT solutions for USA headquarters, Country Offices in Africa, and for remote workers globally. IT systems include, but are not limited to, Internet connectivity, global Intranet, help-desk services, standardizing hardware selections, VOIP and other communications technologies, and cloud-based file sharing.
- Manage a comprehensive program for IT security including data protection, backups and disaster recovery planning, working with IT managed services providers.
- Assess compliance and operational requirements for new geographies and for remote workers. In coordination with HR, assure that VillageReach is operating in compliance with local general and labor laws and requirements everywhere we work.
- Oversee and negotiate terms of service contracts and other arrangements for administrative goods and services. Carefully manage new contracts, renewals and terminations to make effective and efficient use of VillageReach’s resources.
- Manage the program of commercial insurance coverage including the renewal process.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position directly supervises up to three employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience
Master’s Degree in nonprofit, public, or business administration or another relevant discipline, plus 8-10 years of increasingly responsible experience in managing the operations of a division or major program of a complex international organization; or a Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Business “know how”; general knowledge and experience in how organizations function in the world of business, tax and legal compliance.
- Experience negotiating contracts and reviewing contracts and proposals for key elements of intellectual property rights, risk management, and other organizational considerations;
- Project management expertise-ability to understand the full scope and context in implementing complex systems in a global workplace; ability to see the big picture, understand organizational implications and dependencies of projects, as well as to manage the details, so that nothing falls through the cracks; project management certification is a plus;
- Process design and improvement – ability to break down big implementation projects or existing systems into deliverable steps and/or components, with a grasp of how to test and refine along the way;
- Experience developing and codifying operational procedures;
- Experience with an international organization; able to modify and adapt solutions for low resource environments;
- Ability to interact knowledgeably with attorneys, tax authorities, technical advisors to communicate business needs, assess advice and make recommendations and decisions.
- Experience with risk management principles; able to assess risk, conduct cost-benefit analyses, and to make recommendations and decisions based on available information and organizational risk tolerance;
- Ability to successfully manage and mentor professional staff;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, with particular emphasis on Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Portuguese and/or French competency is a plus.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is hired. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/.
You will be asked to provide answers to a number of questions as part of the application process. The application process may involve additional online testing to be determined.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
Follow this link to preview VillageReach’s core benefits.