This position is open to officing in our Tigard location with remote locations considered.
Medical Teams International is in exciting stage of growth focused on reaching the aspirational goals of tripling the number of displaced people served and tripling our capacity to respond to sudden onset disasters. The HRT Senior Response Manager oversees key elements of establishing the strategy for new responses, including, management, initiation, implementation, and monitoring of humanitarian responses and programs; overseeing assigned humanitarian programs; and supporting the administration of HRT operations. Primarily these responses will be in new countries that Medical Teams does not currently operate in.
The role serves as the response leader for new responses and works closely with the Response Specialist, Health Response Manager, Program Support Officer and Global Safety and Security Advisor to identify needs, define response strategy, liaise with donors, and implement assistance. This position requires significant international travel, on short notice up to 50%.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Director, Humanitarian Response Team in the development of humanitarian response strategies, institutional funding acquisition, annual work plans, and reporting against team and group outcomes and indicators.
- Collaborate with the Director, Humanitarian Response Team and other Humanitarian Response Team members, Global Services team, and Finance department, on the continual improvement and implementation of the Humanitarian Response Plan to strengthen organizational capacity.
- Available to deploy in a leadership role immediately in the event of an emergency response being initiated.
- Contribute to the achievement of the MTI Core Humanitarian Standard Improvement Plan.
- Provide support for MTI’s emergency responses and where necessary, backstop in-country teams.
- Design, implement and document findings from needs assessments in new and ongoing humanitarian crises, especially identifying barriers to health care in close collaboration with the Health Response Manager.
- Develop and lead Tabletop exercises to practice response actions with headquarters and HRT staff.
- Act as legal representative for MTI in new countries to establish operating permission or country registration.
- Collaborate with HQ staff to ensure that HQ program reporting, information and data is current, including country information, proposals, and funding needs.
- When deployed to a response, provide regular and clear updates on response strategy to the Humanitarian Response Team Director and other headquarters stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to Country Offices in implementing action plans based on assessments, recommendations and program outputs.
- Develop and train on humanitarian capacity building for staff at headquarters, country offices and the MTI Humanitarian Response Roster, which is comprised of clinical volunteers.
Develop partnerships with other NGOs in disaster response to form complimentary response plans and/or work as a consortium for donor funding, with a particular focus on working with Integral Alliance partners.
Finance and Human Resources
- Build strong relationships with support functions to build their readiness and understanding for MTI humanitarian responses.
- Coordinate with MTI HQ to support humanitarian teams in finance, HR functions and assist in recruitment and orientation of new humanitarian country program staff.
- Document and manage a response budget throughout a response and ensure expenses are documented per the Financial section of the Field Operations Manual.
- When Response Team Lead, design response organizational charts, oversee creation of staff job descriptions, and initiate hiring of national staff.
- Establish and maintain contacts with key donors and coordination bodies to ensure Medical Teams International response is relevant, coordinated and known by donors to ensure funding and inclusion in humanitarian community Humanitarian Response Plans.
- Meet with donors to influence their funding strategy, such that MTI the response is funded.
- Write institutional donor and private funder concept notes and proposals based upon needs analysis for humanitarian health interventions, with the support of other team members on the Humanitarian Response Team.
Safety and Security
- In coordination with Global Safety & Security Advisor analyze, update or develop country/program security guidelines and make recommendations for improvements for security management plans, evacuation contingency plans and standard operating procedures and oversee utilization of security expert advice.
- Undertake Security Risk Assessments for MTI operations or oversee the work of consultants undertaking them.
- Ensure implementation and compliance of MTI’s security policy and standard operating procedures for MTI operations.
- Comply with and promote all relevant MTI policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies.
Support headquarters international Crisis Management Team, as needed.
- Direct management of the Response Specialist and Program Support Officer in supporting the administration of humanitarian operations as designated
- Oversee management of designated humanitarian programs, and the related response leadership, including financial management, strategic planning, partnership development, program quality, reporting, fund raising, communications and provision of technical assistance.
- Manage programs and staff according to MTI policies and Field Operations Manual in the event of being appointed team leader, or another role, during the first phase of a response