Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Vaccine Immunology Statistical Center (VISC) partners with world-class research programs to tackle global public health initiatives in infectious disease. The VISC delivers statistical support across a breadth of applications including early phase clinical trials, surrogate/correlates analyses, single cell data, immunoassay development, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, passive immunization studies, and pre-clinical research. In addition to providing support through study design and analysis, the VISC is also dedicated to developing statistical methods and computational tools for biomedical applications. The center operates within two global research networks: the Collaboration for AIDS Vaccine Discovery (CAVD) and the Global Health Vaccine Accelerator Platforms (GH-VAP). The VISC has additional dedication to open science exemplified by their DataSpace web application.
The VISC is seeking a PhD-level Staff Scientist in biostatistics, computational biology or related fields to contribute to the networks’ research agenda through both independent and collaborative research. The ideal candidate will excel at project leadership in a team environment, collaborating with laboratory-based scientists, clinical investigators, biostatisticians, data scientists, and programmers in the following ways:
- As a consultant, providing project-level statistical support and management.
- As a statistical researcher, developing novel methodologies for analyzing data from clinical and pre-clinical studies.
- Contributing to science through independent and collaborative research including co-authoring papers, technical reports, and protocols
- Serving as lead statistician on preclinical and clinical studies, with responsibilities ranging from designing studies, developing statistical analysis plans, participating in data analysis and preparing statistical reports
- Managing and setting scientific priorities across projects
- Communicating results to partners and presenting research at conferences and consortium meetings
- Leading efforts to extend and develop novel statistical methodologies
- Mentoring junior statisticians
- PhD or equivalent degree in biostatistics, computational biology, epidemiology, or applied statistics with demonstration of applied statistical experience
- Experience with statistical programming (e.g., R, Python)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Strong project management skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- Prior knowledge of immunology, HIV or other infectious diseases, and vaccine research
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: design and analysis of pre-clinical studies or early-phase clinical trials
- Experience implementing reproducible research, including sharing code and using version control software
Please include a cover letter with your application, detailing your interest and suitability for this position.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.