Panorama Global is an action tank dedicated to solving the world’s most intractable problems. Based in Seattle, our team is committed to catalytic and collaborative partnerships, and inspired by a lifelong commitment to service, leadership, and impact.
At Panorama, our partners are at the center of our work and we tailor our approach to meet their unique needs. Our team works on strategy development, communications and advocacy, resource mobilization, organizational design, and fiscal sponsorship with topical projects in, but not limited to, outbreak preparedness, vaccines, gender equity and the climate crises.
Our dynamic, rapidly growing organization seeks a Vice President, Finance and Operations to join our senior leadership team to develop and execute our operational and financial strategy. Working closely with the CEO and other senior leaders, this role will be responsible for enabling the organization with the right financial and operational data to drive decision making at all levels. This role will have accountability for treasury and investments and will manage director-level staff across the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A), Accounting, Grants, Contracts and Compliance, and Workplace Experience functional teams.
As a member of the Panorama Global senior leadership team, the Vice President, Finance and Operations will help drive the strategic direction and growth of the organization, lead functional finance and operations teams, and continue to build Panorama’s collaborative and adaptive culture.
We are looking for a nimble and seasoned leader able to manage complexity. In just over three years, Panorama has grown into an organization with $25 million under management. Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will be a forward-thinking strategic partner who will embrace our broad mission to accelerate social change and ensure our growth is energetic and sustainable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Financial and Operational Leadership and Management
- Serve as the Treasurer to the Board of Directors and engage Board members in organizational financial matters
- Member of Panorama Global senior leadership team
- Oversee four functional teams: Accounting; Financial Planning and Analysis; Grants, Contracts, and Compliance; and Workplace Experience. Provide leadership and coaching and remove barriers for functional leaders
- Accountable for all operational and financial processes; act as arbiter of all process definition and execution across the organization
- Partner with functional leaders across Finance and Operations to facilitate and respond to annual Form 990 and audit
- Own relationship with legal counsel
- Adhere to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and acting when necessary
Inspirational and Effective Leadership
- Manage an existing team of six and assess business needs for additional hires
- Cultivate a high-performing team by prioritizing collective success, team development, clear expectation setting, and regular performance assessment
- Develop a longer-term vision and key performance indicators for the Finance and Operations team, ensuring that its work aligns with and facilitates the organization’s overall needs and growth
- Model through leadership and support a culture of belonging/inclusion in which all team members feel valued and recognized as vital to advancing Panorama’s mission
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building an inclusive culture where team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Contribute to senior leadership team’s efforts to promote an organizational culture of collaboration, open and frequent communication, adaptation, alignment with a common vision, and celebration of success in achieving specific project and broader organizational objectives
New Opportunity Assessment and Intake
- Use an organization-wide leadership lens to assess the risks associated with new opportunities and define mitigation strategies
- Advise on the most appropriate Panorama business model to support the new opportunity (fiscal sponsorship, collaborative fund, or other innovation solutions)
Finance (Treasury, Financial Planning and Analysis, Accounting)
- Set the overall investment and cash management strategy for Panorama Global and its related programs
- Assess the costs and benefits of new opportunities and make recommendations to the senior leadership team based on the overall economics and risk/reward of the opportunity
- Set the indirect cost framework and apply it to new and existing opportunities.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and oversight of the Directors of FP&A and Accounting; ultimately accountable for:
- Defining and monitoring all financial Key Performance Indicators
- Leading Financial Planning and Analysis practices and related processes
- Ensuring all Accounting policies and procedures are in alignment with generally accepted accounting principles and Panorama’s mission and values
Agreements (Grants, Contracts, and Compliance)
- Provide leadership, coaching, and oversight of the Director of Grants, Contracts, and Compliance; ultimately accountable for:
- Ensuring consistency across Panorama’s portfolio of grants and contracts; acting as arbiter of Agreements, if necessary
- Assessing and mitigating risks associated with grants and contracts
- Overseeing standards, processes and tools to develop, approve, and manage grants and contracts
- Overseeing organizational licensing, registration and other compliance needs
Workplace Experience (HR, IT, and Systems)
- Provide leadership, coaching, and oversight of the Director of Workplace Experience; ultimately accountable for:
- Overseeing integrated workforce experience strategy including human resources, technology, and facilities management
- Overseeing organizational policies, processes and systems
- Approve all HR policies and programs in alignment with Panorama’s mission and values, including organization-wide compensation strategy
- Approve technology strategy and related project roadmaps
Desired Qualifications and Competencies
- Deep commitment to Panorama’s mission.
- A minimum of 15 years of strategic leadership and career growth in operations, finance, and compliance functions.
- Background overseeing finance, legal, HR, and IT functions, including budgets, audits, and taxes.
- Creation and execution of budgets and KPIs for complex organizations with a variety of funding sources.
- Proven experience working with philanthropic funders; track record of managing a minimum of a $10 million portfolio of grants and contracts.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, driving change management, and proposing new ways of achieving desired outcomes.
- Experience creating and implementing sustainable business models, including business development, risk analysis tools, and business intelligence.
- Proven experience in driving decision-making and developing strategic solutions.
- Ability to embrace ambiguity and pivot to pursue new opportunities.
- Ability to empower and inspire team members while providing the right balance between mentorship and leadership.
- Ability to foster teamwork, develop and mentor others, and build collaborative relationships; proven track record leading teams and building organizational culture in a fast-changing environment.
- Ability to manage through influence and use interpersonal/emotional intelligence skills and political acumen in respectful, collaborative, and diplomatic ways.
- Combined experience, maturity level and flexibility to interact with a broad set of stakeholders and team members.
- Self-motivated and highly organized professional who is resourceful and creative.
- Capability to maintain a sense of perspective and sense of humor through challenge, uncertainty and change.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Background in non-profit organizations; additional sector experience welcome.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and Panorama’s values.
- Willingness and ability to travel on occasion.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; other language proficiencies welcomed.
- Final offer will be contingent on successful background check.
Panorama offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package, including 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off and sick leave, 401(k) with employer contribution, as well as flexible spending accounts for health, dependent care, and transit, and a commitment to professional development and growth.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.