About the Role
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
Do you have a drive to improve health and equity around the world and a mind for business? There may be a job for you helping strengthen the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington.
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington is a global leader in data-driven public health research and has led the charge for science-based decision-making during the COVID-19 pandemic, including support for increased public safety measures. IHME funds its work in part through a social enterprise – IHME Client Services – that licenses access to IHME’s data to support IHME’s work.
IHME Client Services is seeking candidates for an Associate position. The individual in this role will be expected to provide critical input to product development, client engagement, and analytic services. This will be accomplished by helping to design and implement projects, managing specific work streams, managing client relationships, and producing high-quality project deliverables on time. The Associate will work closely with other members of the Client Services team, IHME faculty, researchers, and data specialists. The individual will frequently be expected to interact successfully with a wide range of stakeholders and to concisely describe complex concepts and materials.
The individual will contribute to a variety of complex projects in a multidisciplinary and ambitious environment. They will be asked to formulate and enact implementation strategies that allow clients to allocate resources appropriately and improve their organization’s performance. The role will involve specialization in core competencies for the team, such as burden of disease, forecasting, health financing, microsimulation, and clinical informatics.
IHME is committed to providing the evidence base necessary to help solve the world’s most important health problems. This requires creativity and innovation, which are cultivated by a diverse and equitable environment that appreciates differences, embraces collaboration, and invites the voices of all IHME team members.
IHME Client Services shares IHME’s mission to create a world in which everyone can live a long life in full health. We have built a team culture that is positive, inclusive, and fun. In the spirit of collaboration, we share praise with each other and welcome constructive critique. Everyone on the team knows that we succeed together, fail together, and adapt our approach together, whenever necessary. That is how we will ultimately drive down inequalities globally and make a healthier world for all.
This is a one-year renewable contract, where the incumbent may earn a yearly incentive bonus based upon CSU incentive targets being achieved during the plan year.
This role can be fully remote with travel, barring travel restrictions, to Seattle and to client offices worldwide.
Project Management and Deliverable Production
• Simultaneously lead multiple projects toward on-time delivery.
• Synthesize information provided by clients and integrate that information into project deliverables.
• Contribute to the production of tools, reports, and other deliverables from concept to finished product with critical thinking and creativity.
• Liaise with other teams at IHME to ensure mutual understanding of project needs and timelines.
• Engage with clients. Help them make the best use of IHME’s data to drive better decision-making, leading to extensions of existing engagements and new engagements.
• Oversee the development of agreements with clients, working closely with finance officers, procurement specialists, and legal experts as necessary.
• Leverage successful projects by developing them into prototypes for future projects for existing and future clients.
Training and knowledge transfer
• Demonstrate data tools and project deliverables to client organizations.
• Communicate with clients, faculty, and other stakeholders to develop a strong understanding of the nature and context of the data.
• Represent IHME Client Services at meetings and speaking opportunities.
• Be a true teammate: dependable, collaborative, and positive.
• Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position as member of the team.
• Bachelor’s degree in field related to business, public policy, public health, or life sciences. At least four years of professional work experience in business consulting, technical project management, business development, or other relevant fields.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Strong communication skills and relationship management skills.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented research environment with a focus on producing results.
• Detail-oriented and organized.
• Demonstrated ability to think independently and to work effectively in a team.
• At least three years of professional work experience in technical project management, business consulting, financial services, fundraising, or other relevant fields.
• Master’s-level degree in field related to business, public policy, public health, or life sciences highly desirable.
• This role requires travel up to 20% of the year, including international travel, when travel is permitted. As such, the candidate must have a valid passport or the ability to obtain passport.
• All Client Services staff work under annual contracts, which are renewed based on performance. Under these contracts, staff may earn a yearly incentive bonus based upon revenue targets being achieved during the year.
• IHME Client Services is headquartered in Seattle, but team members are free to work remotely in US, excluding US territories, as long as their working hours overlap 50% of operating hours between 8 am and 6 pm PT.
• All team meetings are conducted virtually.
• We provide funds for each team member to seek ongoing professional development.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Governor Inslee's Proclamation 21-14.2 requires employees of higher education and healthcare institutions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19 vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.