About the Role
PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multi sector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Center of Digital and Data Excellence (CoDE) is a PATH program that works with government ministries of health, the private sector, and donors to strengthen the use of digital technologies and data for improved health services. Digital Square is one of CoDE’s flagship global initiatives. It is PATH-led and funded by multiple donors, including US Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Gates Foundation), to advance digitally enabled health services to help close the health equity gap.
Conceived from the lessons of the inefficiencies and redundancies of prior investments in digital technologies for international development, Digital Square works with ministries of health to align adaptable, interoperable digital technologies with local health needs and brings partners together to improve how the global community designs, uses, and pays for digital health tools and approaches. Digital Square works to intentionally connect, convene, and enable stakeholders to support a digital health marketplace.
PATH is currently recruiting for a Global Communications Manager to lead its Digital Square communications team. The Global Communications Manager will provide project leadership and accountability for successful execution of the Digital Square communications strategy and completion of communications deliverables. They will ensure effective communication, coordination, and collaboration with project stakeholders, including but not limited to USAID, Gates Foundation, and ministries of health. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Partnerships for Digital Square.
The ideal Global Communications Manager will be creative, strategic, and a dynamic leader; a flexible, organized, and transparent team player; committed to DEI and country-led digital transformation; and passionate, curious, and an experienced global health professional.
○ Manage Digital Square’s communications activities, leading a dynamic, multicultural team to effectively share the impact of our work through various communication mediums.
○ Refresh and execute global communications strategy that is responsive and agile to the initiative’s needs and upholds the vision and mission.
○ Identify new and creative ways to share content and engage with partners across the digital health ecosystem.
○ Elevate Digital Square’s communications, leading a team to produce and amplify engaging content and collateral that will:
○ Tell our stories in a way that resonates with different audiences including country leaders, donors, technologists, etc.,
○ Elevate key issues from the communities in which we support through our work,
○ Synthesize technical content into interesting, easy to understand narratives, articulating the impact of digital interventions,
○ Share priorities of countries, emphasizing country ownership of their digital transformation, and
○ Position Digital Square, team members, and PATH as thought leaders in the digital health space.
○ Represent Digital Square communications across PATH, identifying synergies and internal partnerships to advance communications and advocacy for digital health.
Project leadership, accountability, and strategy
○ Serve as the primary point of contact for Digital Square’s external communications. Represent PATH and Digital Square externally to international agencies, collaborators, other nongovernmental organizations, and the donor community as necessary in collateral, briefs, and at events and conferences.
○ Ensure all communications materials and products are in compliance with donor requirements and are completed on time.
○ Work collaboratively with our key partners including the Digital Square Board and Investors.
○ Liaise with PATH’s communications and media team.
○ Track key metrics to understand how the impact of communications activities influences the initiative.
Engage with Digital Square’s leadership to represent communications work.
Project and team management
○ Work in a highly collaborative environment and as part of a cross- disciplinary, global team.
○ Lead the Digital Square communications team, creating a vision, implementing strategies, tracking accountability measurements, and ensuring deliverables are successfully completed on time.
○ Oversee the editorial content that balances priorities, target audiences, and tracks back to communications objectives.
○ Manage the communications team including two full time staff and several staff matrixed into the communications portfolio; manage external consultants supporting communications as needed (e.g., graphic designers, writers).
○ Partner and collaborate with the Center of Digital and Data Excellence’s communications team and other communicators at PATH, ensuring communications about digital health and Digital Square are aligned and cohesive.
Work style and ethics
○ Possess strong interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills, working effectively and efficiently across the global initiative.
○ Value digital health and the technical expertise of Digital Square and PATH’s staff and network.
○ Thrive in a fast paced and ever-changing environment, taking risks to guide the creation of collateral that is new, innovative, and fresh.
○ Work in a transparent fashion that allows for visibility.
○ Apply an equity lens in all work.
○ Have passion and excitement to solve complex programs with a strategic, future-looking lens for the initiative.
○ Willingness to travel up to 15% of the time.
○ Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field(s) or related experience.
○ 10 or more years of experience working in communications and/or advocacy fields.
○ 6 or more years of experience leading and managing global and virtual teams.
○ Strong track record of supporting teams to make technical content accessible to a wide range of audiences while maintaining credibility with the technical community.
○ Has helped teams prioritize, manage deadlines, delegate, and think quickly to find solutions.
○ Experience in developing and implementing versatile and creative external communications strategies and campaigns for global, regional, and national audiences, including policymakers, implementers, governments, and funders.
○ Able to leverage social media metrics and other communications data to analyze the impact of communications and guide strategy for future communications initiatives.
○ Experience managing multimedia and online communications, including social media, websites, and storytelling platforms.
○ Knowledge of public health and the digital health ecosystem preferred.
○ Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
○ Experience working in low and middle-income countries is required.
○ Experience with USAID projects is preferred.
○ Must have legal authorization to work in the country of PATH office location.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
PATH has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all employees, interns, consultants, and temporary staff based in the United States. Individuals selected for job opportunities in the United States must be fully vaccinated, and show proof of vaccination status, upon hire. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as Pfizer or Moderna, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson. Individuals with medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Africa Region, Europe, United States
Worldwide - Any PATH location in the Africa Region, Europe or the United States