About the Role
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to deliver to the world timely, relevant, and scientifically valid evidence to improve health policy and practice. IHME carries out its mission through a range of projects within different research areas including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Cost Effectiveness and Efficiency; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. Our vision is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base so all people live long lives in full health.
IHME is committed to providing the evidence base necessary to help solve the world’s most important health problems. This requires creativity and innovation, which are cultivated by an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment that respects and appreciates differences, embraces collaboration, and invites the voices of all IHME team members.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Portfolio Manager to join the IHME Financial Planning and Operations team (FPO).
The Portfolio Manager ensures that the organization benefits operationally from high-quality, timely, and accurate data. The position will be responsible for the creation and execution of business intelligence tools that allow for flexible reporting, tracking against milestones, and projections of financial information and related resources.
The position provides information that leads to good resource allocation – including financial resources, personnel, and other assets. IHME cannot sustain its operations or grow them without good evidence on resource allocation, use, and projected needs. The impact of this position is felt across the entire organization. It has a great impact on the information that leadership – both Senior Management Team members and the Board – use in making strategic decisions. This position is contingent on project funding.
Business Intelligence Reporting
• Enable nimble portfolio management reporting, tracking, and projections for a wide range of funding sources and teams.
• Create and implement reports and accompanying processes for reviewing, interpreting, and acting upon the information presented in them.
• Develop and maintain reporting tools and metrics for presenting strategic planning information required by IHME leadership.
• Translate needs and bridge understanding between root data, relevant policies, and team-based objectives informed by leadership needs.
• Develop and maintain standardized financial reporting to better assist budget owners in modeling and forecasting hiring scenarios across multiple teams and funding sources.
• Assess organizational needs over time and how well the business intelligence tool supports them.
• Develop complementary tools and data representations as needed. Advise over time on any modifications or enhancements to the business intelligence tool.
• Create tools that can be used to more effectively and efficiently develop proposals and manage individual budget sources.
• Understand the mechanics and programming of tracking and reporting tools. Devise revisions or adaptations. Implement as appropriate.
• Manage key internal software platforms and relevant vendor relationships.
• Maintain financial and administrative reporting for key centralized budget sources that are under the authority of IHME.
• Manage financial transactions and internal reporting across aligned but separate fellow organizations – IHME, the UW Department for Health Metrics Sciences, and the Client Services Unit.
• Routinize financial analysis and reporting processes to develop more automated reporting.
• Interpret and set help set policies for financial management, ensuring they accord with University and donor stipulations.
• Prepare and present documents, reports, and PowerPoints for leadership meetings and briefings.
Data Quality Management
Set quality standards and policies and devise accompanying processes, policies, and mechanisms for implementation and monitoring.
• Execute centralized data uploads and transformations.
• Review and assess quality of data used in common by multiple teams, such as data on finances, salaries, FTEs, equipment, funding proposals, team assignments, and physical space use.
• Understand how to manage and shape financial data; analyze data and provide advice to senior leadership.
• Think creatively and flexibly about how information can be presented for strategic planning purposes and answer questions posed by the Executive Leadership and the Board, which might not be supported as part of routine reporting processes.
• Provide guidance and hands-on help in aligning contract stipulations with reasonable budget assumptions and desired flexibility to accomplish the work in efficient and effective ways.
• Create resources for fellow team members to easily understand and utilize to greatest benefit reporting tools and information available to them.
• Frequently handle confidential information discretely and respond to time-sensitive, critical financial questions which impact staff funding and organizational sustainability with poise.
• Prepare and present documents, reports, and PowerPoints for leadership meetings and briefings.
• May supervise and/or lead staff on special projects, including students.
• Attend meetings with budget owners and other relevant stakeholders to address portfolio management and related topics.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, computer science, or related field and four to five years’ relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• A commitment to working to alongside others at IHME to illuminate the health impacts of systemic racism and to work within IHME to make our organization more diverse and inclusive. See IHME’s DEI statement here: http://www.healthdata.org/get-involved/careers/dei
• Demonstrated acumen with financial and problem-solving skills. Experience with data analysis, modeling, and forecasting.
• Advanced knowledge of Excel/financial modeling
• Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral; ability to build and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization and effectively explain complex issues and concepts in simple, understandable language
• Ability to innovate and work independently and successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Ability to quickly adapt and adjust to changes in organizational processes, compliance rules, and University of Washington guidelines.
• Experience with University of Washington systems such as Enterprise Data Warehouse and My Financial Desktop
• Familiarly with a major research university setting or non-profit research organizations
• Experience with data integration
• Advanced level of Microsoft Access and PowerPoint
• Familiarity with enterprise-wide relational databases, multi-dimensional cubes, scripting languages, SQL server (including SQL Server Analysis Services), and Business Intelligence reporting tool
• Weekend and evening work sometimes required.
• This position is open to anyone authorized to work in the U.S. The UW is not able to sponsor visas for staff positions.
• Office is located in Seattle, Washington. This position is eligible to work fully remote in the US.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your “My Jobs” page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or email@example.com.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.2 requires employees of higher education and healthcare institutions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19 vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.