The info hub for the hub of global health
Global health landscape
You’re invited to WGHA’s Global Health Landscape Study & Policy event on Thursday, April 28 from 4:00–5:30 pm PT via Zoom. Come hear the findings from our latest Global Health Landscape Study, which examines the breadth and depth of Washington’s global health sector and its contributions to the state’s economy. Special thanks to our sponsors Providence, #ScienceWorks, and RTI International for their contributions to this study.
Welcome, new members!
Please join us in welcoming new members to WGHA! Over the next couple editions, we’ll feature organizations that have joined or upgraded their membership. See our blog for more details.
The devastation for the Ukrainian people continues to grow. Medical Teams International is expanding its response by:
- Continuing to provide grants to local health agencies
- Supporting medical and psychological first aid for Ukrainian refugees in Moldova
- Providing medical supplies and equipment to medical facilities in Ukraine
Thank you to all the organizations working to provide humanitarian aid through this crisis.
Lack of electricity and low literacy rates are barriers to education in Ethiopia’s remote Somali Region. Amplio and UNICEF have teamed up to distribute 500 Talking Books to support “mentor mothers,” aka women community health volunteers. They use the devices to share content on maternal, newborn, and child health as well as information about COVID-19. They also talk about nutrition, hygiene, and cholera—all in the local Somali language.
Adara has served the remote Humla District in Nepal for 24 years, and now it is expanding into three more villages. The team surveyed households and held community consultations to listen to the needs and wants of the communities. In response, Adara will support their schools, health post, water and sanitation, and greenhouses. This is big news for a district so remote that it’s an eight-day hike from the nearest road.
Zoomin’ around town
- Apr. 14: Join Providence for the first virtual event in its Humanizing Healthcare series: Caring Well Through the End of Life—Lessons from the Pandemic.
- Apr. 28: Register for the Healthy Women, Healthy World educational event Ukraine Humanitarian Crisis: From Citizen to Refugee for a deeper look into the situation and stories from the field with Medical Teams International.
- Apr. 20–21: Attend Life Science Washington’s in-person event Life Science Innovation Northwest 2022—the Pacific Northwest’s largest annual life science conference.
- May 19: Register for Worldwide Fistula Fund’s 7th annual Evening to Restore Dignity to learn about recent accomplishments and highlights.
“We must connect the dots between climate change, water scarcity, energy shortages, global health, food security and women’s empowerment. Solutions to one problem must be solutions for all.”
–Ban Ki-moon, in his Address to the 66th General Assembly of the United Nations
Do you have a tip for Field Notes?
Send it to email@example.com
Copyright © 2019 Washington Global Health Alliance, All rights reserved.